Making Virtual Connections
Conference delegates will be able to connect with the community housing sector’s thought leaders, familiar faces from past conferences, emerging professionals and many who will be attending their first Housing Central Conference.
This year we’re trading handshakes for virtual high fives as we create socially distant spaces to create meaningful connections.
Drop by one of the lounges during the morning or afternoon breaks! Our morning lounge sessions (9:15 to 9:45 am) are all about wellness to help keep our bodies and minds ready for learning during the conference and beyond.
During the afternoon breaks (2:00 to 2:45 pm) we’ll have a mix of BCNPHA staff and session presenters guiding chat room discussions on everything from your COVID-19 experiences (building maintenance, supporting tenants, business continuity – bring your questions!) to communications tips, seniors housing, community living and more.
Our virtual platform includes space for messaging with fellow delegates during keynotes and sessions. Jump in to share your thoughts, ask questions, take part in discussions and message one-on-one with others in your field.
Follow these tips to ensure your virtual conference experience includes successful networking:
- Let your community know you’re attending! Once you’ve registered, share the news on your social media channels with info on the education, keynote or other event you’re looking forward to. Check out the SPEAKERS page for our speakers’ social media handles, and be sure to add #HousingCentral to your post! For more tips, check out our handy Social Media Toolkit.
- Create a networking game plan. We won’t be bumping into key funders or decision-makers in the coffee lineup so it’s important to know who you’d like to meet before the event starts. Having specific goals like meeting three new people in your field, connecting with a leader in another region, or trading contact info with at least five fellow delegates is a good way to stay focused.
- Stay active on social media throughout the conference by posting your thoughts about the keynotes and sessions, including screengrabs of live events, and search the #HousingCentral hashtag to connect with other delegates. You’ll be entered to win a special prize!
- Engage in messaging tools during the presentations with comments, questions and one-on-one messaging options with others in the room to establish and solidify new connections.
- Participate in conference gamification activities to raise your profile and, more importantly, have a little fun!
- Follow up with your new connections while the event is still fresh in everyone’s minds. Within the first week after the conference, email your new contacts to thank them for the conversation, connect with other delegates talking about their experience on social media, send out those LinkedIn requests and be sure to confirm any follow-up meeting details.